Sunday, December 14, 2008

3D stock images

Been working with my Lovely, Talented, Smart and Lovely wife on a bunch of images to submit to a stock agency. Basically, just images based on globes. I can see why there aren't loads of 3D images in stock. They have to be rendered at around 6K (6,000 x 6,000 pixels). A lot of the ones we've been doing have depth of field, transparency and so forth, which takes FOREVER. About 3-5 hours per frame (I know that's not forever for some renders, but I'm doing 5 versions per image (US, S. Amer., Eur., Asia, Africa), each precomped on various colored backgrounds (15 images per concept). Some things don't work and some do (I rendered about 30 images at 4K, only to realize that wasn't high enough rez). I'm rendering them in little elements that Steph is then comping together. The upside is that with 30-40 pictures, we could probably get a couple hundred images through all the permutations. It just takes ages. Since I'm not a Render Ninja by any stretch, I'm trying to figure out the best way to attack these hi-res images as best I can.
Here are a couple, smallish, of course.

2 comments:

  1. These look cool. I've been dabbling in the stock industry myself these past few months...Turning out to be a fun distraction when sitting down to watch a little evening tv.

    Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That stuff is awesome! Jesus, you're getting really good with coding Flash. I should have guessed there would be a Flash stock industry. The new year for a beer. I'm making that pledge right now. . .

    ReplyDelete