Thursday, April 02, 2009

a bit of painting. . . and jealousy

. . . So the other day I checked out the blog of this dude, Mark Behm, and I was blown away. I LOVE his paintings. I scroll down a bit and turns out he's also an awesome illustrator. Ok, makes sense. Keep scrolling and see that he's also a sick sculptor. Wow. Turns out he's also an amazing 3D modeler and texture artist. What? And he's got videos that demonstrate that some of his paintings are done in, like, 10 minutes. On screen. Man oh man, that's impressive! I click on a link and it turns out that he also animates feature films. Ok . . . now I want to kill this guy.
What the hell? Sooooo much talent. I linked to his site over there ------>
He is the first person I've linked to that I don't actually know. Does he care? Probably not. Too busy doing all that fancy art stuff of his better than 99.99% of people in the industy. Dick.

Anyways . . . he inspired me to realize that I suck, so I've decided to try being a bit more serious about drawing and painting. Not too serious, cuz then i might feel foolish, but a bit. Of course, ACTUALLY painting is a big step. So, instead, I'm gonna try to do a quick number in Corel Paint each day. Only for 30 mins or so (ok maybe an hour) just to try to get back in the swing of things, that is, to the degree that I was ever in the swing of things. Here are my first few efforts. If I ever do anything thereafter that I decide I like, I'll post it, but certainly not daily. This is more of a public benchmark for myself, I guess, to see if I get better later.

the "under coat". This is the stuff I forgot that I don't really know how to do well. . .

this is with muck painted over the last image.

today I saw a stupid trailer for "Wolverine" and then did this.

Hopefully next week I'll be able to post up some new Ilksvilles and maybe some other work. Otherwise, you can find me staring at this guy's blog and crying . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment